Comment on page
Learn more about Formulas
A formula field contains a value that is calculated from a spreadsheet-like formula. They can perform operations on non-formula fields on the same record, allowing for mathematical, logical, text & date based processing. For example, a full name field could be added to the User collection that concatenates the first name and last name fields.
- On the data tab of your portal navigate to the collection you would like to add the formula field to
- Add a new field and choose Formula as the type.
- Enter the formula. To reference another field hit the plus button to add the reference at the current location.
A formula's value for a given record will calculate when any of the following occur:
- When the formula field is created
- When the formula is updated
- When a new record is added
- When a field referenced in a formula is updated
If a formula doesn't reference any other fields it will only be calculated for a given record when:
- A formula is added initially
- The formula is edited
- The record is initially created
When a formula is added or updated, we will check the output and assign a type based on the output patterns. The possible outputs are:
- Boolean (formula must return true or false)
- Date (formula must return value wrapped in
Field references will be highlighted green in the below examples
E.g. creating a full name from a first name & last name, ensuring to add a space in between if both fields have a value
)),""," ") &
E.g. replace "-old" with " (discontinued)" for a nicer record view
, "-old", " (discontinued)")
E.g. creating a deadline a week after an important date
E.g. calculating the gross sales
Below is a reference of the officially supported operators in our functions.